Friday, January 21, 2011

What is life like in the hollow?

I originally started this blog to discuss my growing understanding and life with chickens (that I do not have yet).  I plan on owning chickens for eggs in a year or two.  It is a new adventure for myself. One I figured would be entertaining to write about.

However, I recently adopted a new dog.  She's a lab/border collie mix and I decided that I should write about all the animals in my life.  My dogs, my property and soon, the chickens.  This new blog is also inspired by author Jon Katz.  I have read two of his books and have enjoyed the writings of someone chronicling their life and observation of their animals.

So, what is life like in the hollow?
The hollow (or valley) where I  live has four other homes. Only one neighbor borders our property.  Our home is at the end of a dead end road on 5 acres.  One side of our property is hillside, the back part is wooded and we have a creek that runs through the center of our property.  Our home lies on land west of the creek and our woods run up on the east side of the creek.  The creek makes a very nice visual border for the dogs to remain close to the house.

We own the 5 acres of land and a  950 sq' home.  We share our living space with 2 dobermans, 1 beagle/sharpei mix, 1 lab/border collie mix and a cat.  It's quite a full house.  My husband and I both prefer the outdoors and have created a great outdoor living space.

As I continue future posts, I will attempt to describe each of my animal friends.  How life in the hollow has changed their lives and mine.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you rethought the focus of your blog. I'm sure chickens are great and interesting, but I think you would feel a little sad not writing about the dogs.

    I can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete