Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Friend

    Back in 2002 after my experience in training Halle, I decided that I wanted to work with animals.  I was nearing my wrap up of classes to become a dog trainer and had just started my massage therapy certification classes. I applied and received a job at a local doggie day care and kennel.   My new boss hired me on as a trainer, kennel tech and future massage therapist for the canines.  I was excited.  Halle could come to work everyday and she and I were working and playing with other animals.
  I worked three twelve hour shifts and most weekends.  I enjoyed the companionship of the animals and of other co-workers.  I attended meetings and training sessions with my boss.  One of the first people he wanted me to meet was pet store owner who was a close friend of his.  He was aware of this my obsession with German Shepards. He had something he wanted to show me.  Inside the store was not a German Shepard, but a Doberman puppy.  His mother and father had been purchased by a local resident who did not want the puppies.  The pet supply store offered to take the puppies. There were only two in the litter, a male and female.  My boss thought that I might be interested in this breed.
  I observed the pups and quickly asked to see the male.  My decision for a second dog had to be taken very seriously.  I owned a independent alpha female.  I did not want to challenge her place in the pack by bringing in a challenging dog.  So, the crazy female Doberman that was stomping on the very submissive male, was not a choice.  Couple of meetings with the pup, tons of research on the breed, discussions with my training instructor and boss, I decided to adopt the little man.  Looking back, I am surprised I chose the pup.  He was a shy, scared and not affectionate upon the first few meetings.  However, I knew he would be a perfect match for Halle.  I adopted Langston in the middle of July.  He was only 6 weeks old.  I was not able to take him home until the first of August, when he was 8 weeks old. I was so excited to introduce this new pup to Halle.
  The ride home was quiet.  I placed the tiny little Langston in the seat next to me.  The same seat that Halle sat, on our first ride together.  Just like Halle, Langston looked scared and nervous about his first trip in a car to a new place.  Arriving home, I scooped the pup into my arms and went inside the house.  Halle met me at the door and began sniffing the pup.  She was very excited, at first.  Then, she was confused and nervous by the new arrival.  She jumped into a recliner and watched the pup sniff about the house.
  It didn't take Halle long to become best friends with Langston.  He was submissive, small and easy to dominate.  Everything Halle wanted in a friend.  Play was easy.  Walks were difficult.  Langston did not have the energy as a pup to do Halle's two to three hour walks a day.  So, I began walking him for a few minutes, than carrying him in a backpack on my chest for the remainder of the walk.  This happened for a couple weeks.  Finally he began to get the strength and energy to keep up with Halle.
  Halle was my first dog, but Langston was my first puppy.  He was not potty trained, still tried to suckle fingers and had the puppy breath that is best described as smelling like bologna.  I quickly began growing a close bond with him.  Like Halle, he came to work with me daily.  I was very rarely without my dogs.  A strong bond formed from this companionship.  Potty training came quickly and was entertaining.  Langston was so small and uncoordinated as a pup, he was unable to hold himself up during poopies.  He would squat then slowly start to tip forward during the process.  I found this hilarious and adorable. Like potty training, everything was pretty easy with this pup.  He was always willing to please and a very well mannered dog by nature.
  Taking him to the vet, he would sit beside me and wait his turn. Most people thought he was ill because he was so young and well behaved.  I would love to take the credit, but it is just Langston.  I enjoyed taking him new places.  My dad's factory, where everyone enjoyed seeing the cute little pup, playing with other pup friends, to the coffee shop, parks or wherever.  This little man was quickly introduced to many people, animals and adventures.
  Soon after adopting Langston, I moved from the rental, into my first home.  The house was near my rental, but unfortunately in an area not as walking friendly as my previous home.  There was a large park nearby and the pups and I had a lot of fun walking and running.  My town has a leash law, but no one was ever at the park and the dogs would stick close by. I would walk behind the dogs as they ran, sniffed, and played with one another.  When they were not watching me, I would hide behind a boulder or tree and wait for them to realize I was not around.  They would soon panic, turn around and find me.  I was awaiting them with treats.  This fun game, helped the dogs gain attention toward me during walks, so they didn't stray far. The park is also where I discovered Langston's extreme play drive for fetch.  He would play fetch until he had reached, utter exhaustion.  I actually would have to take breaks on the walk home from the park because he sometimes would be too tired from fetch.  Warm sunny days, I would sit in the park and watch the two dogs run and play together.  They were the best of friends.  They were also, my best friends.

  Langston has been my buddy throughout his life.  He has been my shoulder to cry on, as well as the one thing to put a smile on my face when no one else could.  We have created an unbreakable bond throughout our time together.  He is currently my husband and my work dog/mascot for our landscaping business.  Last summer, he was diagnosed with bone cancer.  My whole world crashed around me.  My husband and I decided to amputate his front left leg and  treat him with chemotherapy.  He is doing well, but cancer has moved into his lungs.  I realize my time is limited with my best friend, but we enjoy every passing moment together.  Writing about Langston is difficult.  There are a million moments that we share and I adore.

1 comment:

  1. Langston is amazing! He's touched so many lives, including ours....

    ReplyDelete