Sunday, March 6, 2011



Feb. 28th
Thunderstorms continued throughout the night.  The Tornado sirens started around 1 am and the dogs began getting edgy.  Noodles lay in bed scared and Langston was nervous and in need of attention.  We had very little sleep throughout the night.  Cadet and Halle seemed untouched by all these events. 

With little sleep, we still managed to pull off a very productive work day.  Arrived home and got greeted by our wonderful pups.  The evening walk was relaxing and rewarding.  Nice casual exercise and new training with noodles.  She accomplished a new command.  We are calling the new command two feet.  She stands on her hind legs and attempts to take a step or two.  We have ways to go until the command is fully understood or mastered. 

With a good walk, training and full bellies, we all relaxed in the living room with the tv jabbering in the background.  I spent the evening working on photographs for our portfolio while the dogs munched on a rawhide and dozed in and out of consciousness.

March 1st.
The temperatures never got as high as expected, but comfortable.  The sun shined all day making for a pleasant day and a great mood.  Joshua and I finished up an inside stone facing job we have been working on.  Always great to see a project completed. 

Arrived back home after a long day.  This was one of the longest days that Noodles has had to deal with us being gone.  She was extremely full of energy and very excitable.  During our walk she had a hard time focusing.  She still did a great job training and we walked a bit of the energy from being home all day out of her system.

We had a little loss of focus towards the end of the walk.  Something distracted Noodles and she completely tuned out Joshua and I until a tug of her leash redirected her attention.  This reinforced that her training off leash is going to be a long time away.  When something distracts her attention, whether it is another dog, a squirrel or a stinky place to roll, she can tune out the world and focus only on what is entertaining her at the moment. 

After our walk, I relaxed by combing Noodles.  I never figured that I would ever enjoy grooming a dog as much as I do.  I have actually worried in my past, that if I were to adopt a dog with long hair, that I would not have the discipline to groom.  No problem.  I love grooming her, it is very meditative. 

Cooked the dogs dinner of ground beef, mixed vegetables and rice mixed with eggs.  I was a bit lazy and didn’t juice there carrots.  Will add that tomorrow to their left- over’s.  I have been trying to increase Langston’s protein intake because the special high protein kibble I buy for him was not available at the pet store. I also try to give him carrots often with dinner.  I have been told that beta carotene is a good anti-cancer agent.

 Cooking dinner for the dogs for me is a never ending struggle of trying to find the right recipes.  I have had so many opposing sources on proper diets.  I do not feel comfortable experimenting with my dog’s health to find the right diet.  I have done a lot of research and plan on discussing diet with my Vet as well as, as many professionals in the topic as I can.   Raw, cooked, grain, no grain.  I am not sure which is the best, but plan on attempting to find a solution?  I do not plan on taking my dogs off kibble, but would prefer kibble only for breakfast and whole food for dinner.  In the future I may make a complete switch, but not with 4 dogs. 

March 3rd
Spring has sprung.  As landscapers, our business picks up in March.  We start spring maintenance; start getting phone calls from prospective clients for estimates.  Usually, estimates start around mid March.  This year, we started getting calls in February.  This winter was awful and as soon as the sun peaked itself from behind the clouds and the temperatures rose above freezing, people started getting the landscape bug.  We have had three estimates and already two confirmations from those estimates.  Not only the exciting news that we are finishing booking up our year’s schedule, but Noodles and Langston have been given permission to accompany us on the two excepted estimates.

Noodles, is being trained to be our work dog.  Langston is the most amazing work dog.  He is calm and attentive.  He follows us around a property and patiently waits when we are working.  He can comfortably wait for 8 hours in one spot while we build wall.  Noodles, has worked on a few jobs and has showed similar traits.  We have been training and socializing her to become a work dog.  The jobs she has worked, she has been very patient and attentive.  She seems to be happy to just be near us.

March 5-6th
We spent the weekend away from the Hollow.  Joshua, myself and the four pups, packed ourselves into our van and drove back to our home town. My grandmother turned 80 the past week and we had a party for her Saturday evening.  We arrived to my Mother’s house early enough for the dogs to settle-in.  Joshua and I had discussed that Noodles could benefit from the party.  There were a large number of people and children attending.  She has been used to a pretty solitary life with only one owner in her past who had very little guests visiting.  Joshua and my life is not much different.  We have occasional guest, but usually our home is just the two of us, a pretty calm and quiet setting.  Noodles had no problem passing the test.  She enjoyed the attention of the children and adults but didn’t bother those that were indifferent to her presence. 
 
One more test passed, one more weekend of fun with the family and pups.  Happy to be back in the hollow, relaxing on the sofa with my husband and pups.  Good week.

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to let you know I liked this post because it captures a glimpse of your everyday life, the daily comings and goings and its regularity. It also makes your life sound so peaceful really. Regarding grooming, remember we're primates! I think the need to groom is ingrained. I feel a little guilty too because Piper needs a good grooming. Does Noodles like the attention from grooming? Piper likes it in some areas but not others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's weird, but via a blog I follow I just came across this blog post written by a vet student about animal nutrition. I thought you might find it interesting. It agrees with you about conflicting information and recommends another site for evidence based information about animals, Skeptvet. Here's the post http://mydvmvacation.blogspot.com/2011/03/when-your-vet-fails.html

    ReplyDelete